Welcome to CAP's SHS Strongman Training

If you want to come down and flip tires with the "old man"... do so at your own risk, I am not your mommies (even if I am prettier than some of them). If I tell you to scram--do so. We all help each other and WE ALL CLEAN UP. Bring water and an indomitable will. Check the blog 1 hour before you come down if there is foul weather or just in case--stuff happens. Subscribe by email or blog-reader to get updates (so I don't get 50 texts everyday). And, P.S. Meditate...It is the true Strongman Training.



Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Katsujin-Ken: The Blade that Protects and Fosters Life

I was pondering...yes Cap ponders-- I was pondering the nature of martial arts, violence, war--especially with Modern Warfare 3 and and other games capturing the minds of the nation right now--I was pondering real-world violence and video game violence as an expression of art. And, as always when I am pondering any martial arts, my mind goes to one of three people; the first of which is Yamaoka Tesshu. He was a 19th century Zen Master, Sword Master and Japan's most prolific calligrapher. He is one of my favorite "Strongmen"--a true hero to me.
The reason I thought of him in this instance is because this giant of a man, (over 6 feet and for Japan of the time period...) this scary, bad-arse samurai, called his katana: Katsujin-Ken: the Blade that Protects and Fosters Life. Think about that.
If you don't know who Yamaoka Tesshu is (all of my 3 faithful readers) you should (click the links on the page). I will elaborate at a later date.

For now, ponder with me, one of the most famous samurai masters ever calling his blade: Katsujin-Ken: the Blade that Protects and Fosters Life. Oh, and the fact that he never drew his blade in anger nor killed anyone. In fact, he mostly used his bokken, a wooden training sword, and all his opponents were forced to submit, as the story goes. He was a teacher. His blade swinging was for enlightenment. Indominable will. To get a technician rank in Wing Tsun at various levels you have to face off against 1, 2, or 3 attackers at once for about 10 minutes, if that...hard right? To get your teaching rank in Master Tesshu's school, you had to face a gauntlet of fresh fighters, one after the other, from sun up to sun down for...ready... 7 days straight, (earlier high ranks are 1 or 3 days) breaking only to sleep! Anyway... I am a bit off topic. But through the fire of this onslaught and atrition the will is forged and enlightenment is gained. Not the will to go out and slaughter millions, but a Zen detachment and the ability to wield this awesome will and blade skill only if needed. As close to Jedi as I imagine any man could come--better even because these are mere mortal men.

If we everyone were this well trained, and all our blades were called Katsujin-ken, perhaps all of our violence would need only be in video games or in movies. Perhaps not even there. --Cap
(All martial arts practitioners and Zen enthusiasts...strike that... EVERYONE should read: The Sword of No-Sword: The Life of Master Warrior Tesshu by John Stevens--OR DON'T--I leave it up to you, as always, because... I could just be a mad myna bird laughing at its own reflection in a puddle on 44th street--no--worse--in the Bronx.)
Older Tesshu

Qui-gon Jinn: Jedi like Tesshu